Quote of the Moment

"9 out of 10 doctors are divisible by 3" --->Unknown

Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Snow? What Snow??"

So, after taking 2 long hours to get John home from work on Monday I decided I was going to take a personal day, even if school was in session. I have no absences this quarter (except one in Filing) and it's already week 7 so, who cares. I had heard a rumor that Spencerian has only declared a snow day ONCE in recent memory, so the chances of having one on Tuesday were slim to none.

As the night was drawing to a close, WHAS11 news (the news channel we are told to check for school closing btw) had listed on their ticker that Spencerian was CLOSED. It did not say for what day, but it also did not specify night classes. This was at about midnight. I got up at 8:00 assuming we did not have school (and know I wasn't going to go even if we did...) only to log onto the school's website to find out that we were on a 2 hour delay.

JCPS (Jefferson County Public Schools for my Non-Louisville friends) was closed. About 80% of Spencerian's student population is single mothers with school aged children. Classes would not be letting out until nearly 6:00pm.

Did they *really* expect ANYONE to show up???

Apparently, about 30 students did. And only a handful of teachers. So many teachers weren't there, in fact, that students were instructed to go to the cafeteria for an "exciting seminar" (according to the signs still on the wall today) which turned out to be about how to take a test. If you did not show up for this seminar and sign in, you would be counted absent.

So, today, JCPS was on a delay, but we were on a regular school. I didn't make it to 2nd period (I don't have a 1st period....and yes, I'm in college and we have periods...and bells...) because of traffic and the fact that my neighborhood was covered in ice and snow. But Mrs. Wilds told me 3rd period (I have her 2 periods in a row.) was that our test that was to be on Thursday has been postponed until Monday. Same with 3rd period. Our quiz that was to be today will now be tomorrow. And our test that was supposed to be tomorrow will be on Monday. It's as though school was out, even though it wasn't.

There are rumors going around about if we'll be counted absent or not. The 30 students who WERE there don't think others should be 'cause they actually "braved the elements" and showed up. Those who didn't go say it shouldn't count as an absence because it said on TV that we were canceled, and once you have your answer, you're not normally going to recheck it later. Some rumors going around are that if you missed tomorrow and would have been dropped from class because of too many absences it won't count. But otherwise it will. I don't think that's fair because it should be everyone or no one.

Spencerian needs to get their fucking shit together. That is all I have to say about that. If the TEACHERS cannot get to the fucking school then *maybe* you shouldn't have class. Or at least make a decision and stick with it.

I'm tired of the bullshit of this school. Mrs. Wilds went over our test that will be on Monday. Basically asking us the questions that will be on the test. She got to one of them, a question about a specific drug. Turns out that drug was NOT ON OUR LIST of drugs to know. This list is made by the head of the department. The test is made by the head of the department. We told Mrs. Wilds that we did not have that drug. And said, "Then why is it on the test?? [pause] Well, I guess you all get a freebee."

I'm trying to stay calm about the whole thing. But I cannot get out of this school fast enough. If any of you ever think about going to Spencerian I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE it.

1 comment:

Pegasus said...

you left out the story about the 26 answers going in alphabetical order! What a week!